Sunday, 20 January 2013

Man in the Mirror

'We fight each other during the tough times instead of fight the tough times together'

A vision that will sit with me for a long time, happened on the 7th December 2012. The venue was Ewood Park. Rovers had just conceded the fourth goal, it was the final straw on the night for me, and emotions got the better of me. I left the Darwen End and proceeded towards the Bolton Road. As I left, I looked to my right hand side, a young Rovers fan was leaning against a pole, visibly upset at what has become of his beloved Blackburn Rovers. His face told a story of a deep sadness, a face that should not be carried by a lad so young. I went over and shook his hand, we embraced and went our separate ways. I will see him again in a couple of weeks.

Most people who read this blog will know I am a member of the BRFC Action Group, and very proudly so. The only benefit from the Venkys era personally is that I have met so many great people. People who have treated me like one of the family. I would count them as friends. Friends I will stand beside. Any person who interacts on social networking sites knows what I mean when I say the Rovers fan base is toxic. I have risen to the bait recently. Do I regret it? I regret that this is the situation we find ourselves in. I think a lot of Rovers fans can relate to this. I don’t necessarily have a problem with you, but if I see you attack my friend, I will proceed to defend them. Its human nature. Some of the abuse aimed at the committee is absolutely disgusting and cowardly. As I said, my actions have not always been first class, but I wont get personal, there is a line that should not be crossed. That line has been bypassed and personal threats of violence, against any person, from any group, are not acceptable.

 It’s the common perception that Venkys are the root of all evil. OK I can accept that. But a time will come, when Rovers fans will have to take responsibility for their actions. Rovers fans relationship with each other is septic, much like the boardroom.  The time for bitchy Facebook messages, cryptic tweets and name bashing is over. It’s getting pathetic and this time we can’t just blame the media for our reputation. This is our doing. Why are we fighting each other? It’s of no benefit to anybody. Rovers fans need to look in the mirror, take responsibility and change.

The alternative for Rovers fans is the Rovers Trust. I don’t see a problem with the idea. I have personally talked to members of the trust, lads who want what’s best for the club, and they believe the trust is the best option. At this moment I do not believe the Trust are equipped to bring the club forward. Financially I believe it would be a step back. If the trust ran the club I don’t believe it would be any more beneficial than Venkys. Obviously I am not comparing the trust and Venkys, but the lack of experience would be an issue in running a top club. I am in no doubt that they are very capable people who are behind the trust, I just don’t believe it’s a viable option for now. This is not an us versus you comment, as I said in previous paragraph that crap has to stop.

Finally to Venkys. The video of the snowball emerged after the Charlton match. I absolutely see the reasoning behind it. Absolute tortures’ frustration. Split second action that normally is not a big deal. I seen the video on twitter soon after the match. I didn’t sit well with me. It was almost we stooped to their level. Also, if they walked into the boardroom and Mrs D says, pull all funding? Like a game of Russian Roulette. We need them to pay the bills. Strange feeling. I do not understand the appointment of Michael Appleton. I will support him as I want my club to improve and be successful . I just cant fathom how a statement I released that Gary Bowyer will stay in charge until the end of January, the next day Appletons odds drop quicker than Jordans lingerie. Soon after Appleton is appointed.  Is Shebby a conman? No. Does Shebby want the club to be successful? I believe so. Is Shebby out of his depth? Probably. Is he the danger man? Absolutely not, that title goes to the PR guy who led the club through the worst PR era in any football clubs history. He got a promotion and not the sack.

Venkys are finished. I don’t see a way back for them. To move forward its down to the fans. This is not an attention seeking status to gain ‘Likes’. This is an SOS. Rovers fans need to change, otherwise forget about blaming Venkys, blame yourself!



2 comments:

  1. From Sir Bill Taylor

    Good article. Makes you think. My take on the Action approach vs the Trust route is there's room for both. In every good organisation there are doers & strategists but no discrete definitive line between the two. They are both active roles. They don't necessarily agree on the destination or how to get there. But in this case there is a shared passion for something that we all have close to our hearts, BRFC. Not necessarily or only coz of football. For me following the Rovers to Wembley or Cardiff, Cleethorpes or Burslem is about our family. Our daughter 7 in '92 with yellow ribbons in her bunches bound for Wembley, our son aged eightish scratching off (Brian) Dougie's cards coz he "didn't know what to do"...
    We need both, we need their energy. What we don't want is energy dissipated on those for whom there's the most poisonous inverse relationship:-those who say & those who do.
    I've tried to open up a dialogue with the Raos, we owe each other nothing, I'm not frightened to speak up about what's wrong. But neither do I think that the Raos want to see Rovers fail. They'd be mad to want to & those who want to believe that are daft too.
    Let's pull together. They have money & power, we have passion & power...how heady a cocktail would money, passion & power be...
    I'm 60, spent a lot of the last year getting ready for, undergoing or rehabbing from hip surgery, with more to come.
    But I'm fighting to the best of my ability, using the advantages I believe I have. Arte et Labore, not for my sake, our sakes, or the Raos.
    For an ideal, Blackburn Rovers.
    The Rovers give us hope, brings despair, give us a rallying point, things to argue over. They or it brings us together if we're younger or older, family or not, from Longshaw or Langho, called Patel or Patterson.
    Effin n jeffin at the Raos ain't big, ain't clever & produces what?
    So GOYA (get off your ar$€)& get involved.
    Sir Bill Riversider Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have tentatively back the Rovers Trust - but your comments regarding running the club are wrong - the point is WE WOULDNT! The Trust has always said that the club would be run by professionals and not fans... however the fan representation is a key part at board level to ensure that the exec are reminded who they are running the club for. The Trust would actively seek to work with potential buyers of the club to ensure that it is not a case of out of the pan and into the fire.

    As Bill says... GOYA! If you want to make a difference then back the Rovers Trust (you can still be apart of the Action Group!) it only cost £10 (Officially) we have to charge so the money raised will go on running the Trust and to supporting local causes - Elections will be held later this year (we are working on an independent election model at the moment) - so join now and make sure you have your say...

    ReplyDelete